Thursday, October 22, 2009

The First Real Appointment

October 15, 2009

First, sorry to miss the week 10 picture--there is a lot more to see, obviously, but Michael's and my schedules have been such that he hasn't been able to take the picture, and that is the only way I want it.

So, today was our first real appointment with the midwife. She is wonderful! And adorable! And a really sweet (and so skinny!) motherly--and heading towards grandmotherly--figure. But Cheryl didn't introduce herself to us when we went back to start the appointment, which was a little unsettling for me, but maybe she already figured we were all friends already. I don't know. But Margy is just too cute. And she is super sweet and so helpful. She spent quite awhile with us, so it seemed to me, at least. And she would just stop and answer all of my lame questions (and the not-so-lame ones, too). What a great experience we had.

Then there was the baby's heartbeat. She went to find the baby's heartbeat, and I started freaking out because it seemed like it took her forever to find it. It was just my heartbeat (which was kind of racing, so she had to make sure it was mine and not a REALLY slow baby's heartbeat--but I was so nervous it wouldn't be there). But the good news is that the baby didn't disappear! His little heartbeat sounds like the shhhhing of a train, so sweet. Margy said she predicted the baby will be a girl--and she's right 51-percent of the time. We'll see. I'm sticking with the generic masculine "he" until we know for sure. And that could be as early as December 22! Hooray!

I feel like I made the right decision--which is a wonderful thing. She told me that Gayle was joking with her that Michael and I must have conceived on the way home, but Margy's calculations are with ours--the one or two days before the appointment is when it all came together. Which is awesome. She said that this has happened to Gayle before (not quite so fast, though), but, apparently Gayle is known as a miracle worker who doesn't have to do any work--like you schedule the appointment and then you just end up pregnant. Bless her heart! I'm glad I made the right choice there, too.

All in all, a wonderful day, full of great things, but no delicious treats, because my tummy is SO upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment