Friday, February 20, 2009

Turning the Heel

I am so excited that I've taught myself how to turn a heel. I am going to be a sock-knitting machine! On Monday, I was knitting for about 16 hours and I finished a lovely little ankle sock. Next time, I'm going to use bigger needles, chunkier yarn, and spend less time on a single sock!


But I couldn't believe how easy it was--why on earth was it so hard for me to figure out? The gusset is so incredibly easy! It is all just a piece of cake. Making the heel flap, turning the heel, making the gusset--so simple. So if anyone wants a pair of socks, I will be more than happy to teach you how to turn the heel! You'll love it.


The socks I'm making are black ankle socks with a really pretty lace pattern. I knitted one whole sock on Monday, and then on Wednesday, I knitted about half the second sock and ran out of yarn. I thought I had enough--so I was kind of upset. It's dye-lotted yarn, so I can only hope that the next skein I get doesn't clash too badly. So, I'll probably get enough next time to make another pair of socks, too, so that I can choose to do that later on.


The funniest thing about knitting the sock is that the yarn isn't colorfast, so, by the end of the day, my fingers had turned greyish black and it was so deeply engrained into the prints on my fingers that I just finally got it all out this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment