Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I love Wednesdays

Wednesday is a very special day to me. It could be the reason I live--maybe a stretch, but maybe not, either. When I was growing up, Wednesday was my “Special Person Day,” which totally rocked because on Wednesday, I got to choose what we watched on TV (Cosby Show, right?) and I got to use the Special Person spoon--which was the prettiest, shiniest spoon in the house, and my parents were more lenient on the cleanliness of my room. And various other perks like getting to ride shotgun if only one parent was in the car, stuff like that. Wednesday was a celebration of me--kind of like having a mini birthday every week. I absolutely adore celebrating myself, so having a Special Person Day all to myself is perfect. And it’s right in the middle of the week! Just enough to get you through the rest of the week and to the weekend.

When I became an adult and moved out on my own (always with tons of roommates at college), I would celebrate my Special Person Day in various ways--not do my homework one Wednesday, go out to eat, call in sick to work and watch a movie, but most of the time, I would pick up a thick shake or a large Hogi Yogi. Just to remember how wonderful my life really is and how great it is “to be me.”

And now that I am an old adult and have graduated from college and have a decent full-time job, I get to celebrate my Special Person Day once more. I get a 4-day work week, and Wednesday is my extra day off. I still get up at the same time because the only time I need an alarm to get me up is for work. And when I get up on Wednesdays, I feel like a kid sneaking around the house before everyone is up, snooping for treats and fun things to do--it is so exhilarating. I watch the Morning Show with Mike and Juliet because I only watch channel 13 (because I am afraid to change the channel because I may forget or not be able to change it back for the very highlight of my day). I don’t always watch Mike & Juliet, and I certainly don’t pay attention to it all, because I watch while I play Hate Town, occasionally I’ll be cleaning or doing laundry or something else, but most of the time, I play Hate Town in the morning until noon when it’s time for The League of Justice! That’s right. I spend five hours of my day off watching Judge Alex, Cristina’s Court, Divorce Court, Judge Joe Brown, and Judge Judy. I get a lot of knitting done because I cannot watch TV without knitting. And then, after Judge Judy, I’ll leave it on for about 20 minutes or so of the news, and then either go back to Hate Town or really do some cooking and cleaning.

I always hope that Michael won’t get home until after the 5 o’clock news is over, but he always gets home early, usually before Judge Joe Brown is over. That makes me sad because I love to be able to do all of those things and then have a little bit of time to get everything cleaned and organized before he gets home.

But today is a little bit different, Michael and I are both sick--I’m getting better after being bed-ridden for a week, and he’s starting to get really sick, perhaps even as bad as I was--so he’s in bed right now and I am making bread for us to eat with our soup. It’s really nice that we don’t have to go outside today. I may not even make him take out the garbage because he is so sick. It can wait another day. So, today, I will get him soup and orange juice and bread and water while he lies in bed, playing his DS and reading or whatever he wants to do, and I will go about my regular Wednesday activities as much as possible and then go to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment