Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cloth Diaper Update


So, we've been using cloth diapers for a couple of weeks now--two or three, I honestly don't remember. And I am, overall, very pleased with them. I'm still working out some little kinks (if the liner peeks out a little at the leg, the diaper will leak--well, the liner gets wet and it seeps all over clothes). I've gotten wet pants from having Rock on my lap, which totally grosses me out. But it's not so bad.
Cleaning up poopy diapers isn't quite as painless as it is with disposables, but it's also not nearly as bad as people seem to think when they think of cloth diapers. A few people asked if I realized that I had to swirl poopy diapers around in the toilet by hand. Gross. I will NEVER do that. I would throw it away before it came to that. I did realize that, if you are using flushable liners, you should also have flushable wipes to go along with them. That has been a lifesaver. Because I don't want to get poop on a reusable wipe that I have to wash. Grody.
The diapers are so cute, and Rock's pants fit so much better with them. I absolutely love them. We are still using disposable diapers at night (Rock pees SO much) and when we go to church (because Michael has to change his diapers there, because I am busy teaching), but nine disposables a week as opposed to the 50+ we were using is so much better.




Aren't they just SO cute? I absolutely love them. They are super bulky, especially with two inserts in them, but they are so cute. And I feel like the snaps will be way harder to get off when Rock starts wanting to take his diaper off and run around naked, as I know he is going to want to do sooner rather than later.
I am slowly switching to hemp inserts. I hate the FuzziBunz ones (which is strange, because I LOVE the FuzziBunz diapers) because they don't fit in the diaper like they should. And they get all stiff and hard to deal with because we don't have a dryer. The Thirsties hemp inserts are amazing. And slightly cheaper than the FuzziBunz, so that is great. [MICHAEL DON'T READ THIS] Getting all hemp inserts is going way over our diaper budget, [MICHAEL MAY CONTINUE READING HERE] but I don't need them all right now, just mostly for naps and if we go out somewhere I don't want to have to change a diaper too frequently.

A great investment, I think. I didn't need much convincing in the first place, but I absolutely love them. I don't think it will be that huge of a deal to completely switch over when we run out of disposables in about a year and a half (I'm hoping to be done with diapers entirely by then, but whatever).

2 comments:

  1. VERY good information! THanks for following up. Rock looks adorable in those diapers. They look comfy! When I have babies, I think I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally should. I love them, and I love that I can feel great about them. They haven't smelled up the bathroom yet, which is awesome, because they are just in a bag (well, two bags, we hang the diapers and inserts separately) hanging on the changing table. And they don't smell bad after they have been washed. I'll probably do another follow up after I feel like I've earned the right (maybe in a couple months of using them).

    ReplyDelete